RCU Forums - View Single Post - Curare build
Thread: Curare build
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 PM
spbyrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Curare build

Guys

I have built 5 Curares for SPA use from Man plans. The first two were from Balsa USA cores. The last three from cores I cut myself according to the MAN plans. I didn't notice any difficulties with the cores according to plans.

If you are a purest, stop reading now. Don't want to ruin anyone's Christmas.

A Curare for SPA use requires a little modification. The engine of choice for SPA is a 91 4c. I prefer to mount my engines inverted, so I had to widen the firewall 1/2". Other formers and the nose ring were widened appropriately to maintain proper appearance. Mine is a tail dragger with elevator and rudder servos mounted well back in the fuse for balance purposes. The tail has also been stretched a bit for the same reason.

When building the first one, an old vet said I should reduce the dihedral. Don't do that. Build according to the plans and you should not need significant mixing.

If you're cutting your own cores, go ahead and cut and sheet a foam turtle deck, too. You can save a couple of days of carving and sanding and 4-6 ozs overal without giving up any structural strength.

I have used cut-down Arresti 40 canopies on all mine. If you want a clear canopy, I think the small U-Can-Do replacement canopy can be cut down, too.