RCU Forums - View Single Post - PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2006, 04:57 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PAU/BME 87" Extra 330L - Build and Fly

You should patent this. Nothing I hate more than drilling horns through bevels. Even using a drill press, I always manage to screw this part up...

Why aren't these manufacturers of so called 'luxury prefab' kits never pre-drilling the horns through the hard points? Only onI saw do that was Hangar9.

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Hi guys...

I've been working on an idea for a tool that makes drilling beveled surfaces a breeze... and here's what I've come up with... I'm open to criticism, comments and suggestions.

Basically I took a 2" C Clamp and ground off part of the clamp over the "flat" to create a flat surface.

Then I removed the "foot" from the turnscrew and sharpened it to a point

I drilled a 5/32" hole though the "flat" and inserted a 5/32" brass tube all the way to the point and JB welded it in place. (Leaving it full length at first makes sure it's in alignment with the point of the turnscrew)

Then I trimmed the brass tube with a cutoff wheel as shown in the pics, leaving enough length to act as a definitive guide tube.

Then you simply mark BOTH sides of the surface evenly where the control horn should pass through (measuring carefully of course) and clamp the "drill guide" over the centermarks.

Pass a drill bit through the guide tube and drill a hole from one point to the other.

The idea is to be able to always drill a nice straight hole perpendicular to the surface.

What do you think?