View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Smith Miniplane build

Hey Ilikebipes, excellent job on the plans-built Mini
Thank you very much.

I'm running the Saito .56. It gives me all the power "I" want. Enough to pull through loops. Definitely not unlimited vertical, but that is not why we would want a Mini. I've run the OS .52 surpass on a Mini, and I felt it was underpowered. (Sorry) For some reason the saito puts out a bit more "gumption." I'm interrested in mounting a Magnum .52. I think that ought to do well also.

Be prepared for some "schooling" on take-offs. She is a ground looping queen. But once in the air, she is amazing. Snaps, spins, lomcevaks, etc. It does not like large round loops. I think it has to do with the flat bottom wing. I'm actually considering building a semi-or fully symetrical wing to see how aerobatics improve. Even still, she flies like she is on rails. Pretty quick for a bipe too-IMHO.

You will love landing this bipe. She comes in very slow. Trainer speed slow.

how did you do the cowl cutouts for the valve covers?
I mounted the moter on the firewall and installed the cowl by lining up the spinner ring on the cowl with the back plate of the spinner with an 1/8 inch gap. Yes, I did have to pull the valve covers off to put the cowl on to start, And you might find there will be more sanding to mount the cowl.

Once the cowl was initially mounted, I pulled the cowl back off and put my valve covers back on.

Then I taped a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 white or tracing paper, length way, from behind the the cowl towards the front of where the cowl would be. Trace the outline of the valve cover or cylinder heads that will protrude out of the cowl onto the paper how you would like to see it fit. Cut the necessary holes out of the paper and line it up with the engine to ensure it lines up properly, and fits over the valve covers or cylinder head.

Do not remove the taped paper from the fuse. Remount the cowl with the valve covers removed. With a finetipped felt permanant marker, trace the hole you cut out of the paper onto your cowl.

Remove your cowl and do not cut to the lines you traced with a rotary tool. Rather cut inside the traced line.

Re-install the cowl, try fit the cutout of the hole over the valves. More than likely you will not have perfectly placed the hole where it needs to be. This is okay, and the reason you do not want to cut all the way to the lines you traced out, but it puts you in the right place geographicly Cut only little bits at a time, eyeballing it, and keep refitting the cowl to make sure you don't go too far. Be patient, and you'll get it perfect.

Re-install the cowl and enjoy your handiwork. Use sandpaper to clean up the holes you've cut out. That's how I do it.

Good Luck! I'll gladly answer any other questions you may have.

-Bipes