RCU Forums - View Single Post - 101" Lake Renegade 250 build
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
jmpshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 101" Lake Renegade 250 build

Jeff,

I got your email with questions. I tried to e-mail you back two nights ago but I got a return message with a delivery delay/problem. I also sent you a PM with the same info here at RCU.

I had to go back about 7 or 8 months ago in my head to remember just what the hell my thought processes were, whew! The plans obviously called out for wood sizes that must be readily available in Germany. After I studied these plans for a good couple of weeks, I went to a blue print shop and had a working copy of the plans made. I decided to draw in on these working plans the english sizes of wood that are readily available here in the states. For instance, the fuse longerons (13/32) you asked about, I decided to used 3/8 balsa square sticks. So I redrew those lines and cutouts on each former to fit 3/8 stock. I did a bit of "drawing in" on all the views in my working plans.

As far as what to use for items where the material wasn't specified, I am going to balsa, keep it as light as possible. If I feel that a particular item may have a bit of stress on it or should be a little stronger, I will use ply. Also, I have not yet made any of my parts for the wings or stab yet.

Wing ribs & rudder ribs, 1/8 balsa. I would make wing ribs 42 & 43 ply, especially if you plan on having the landing gear. I am not using landing gear (keeping it light), but I will still make them ply because they hold the ends of the wing tubes. Elevator/stab ribs, 3/32 balsa. Again, I might make the tube-end rib ply.

Part 24: 1/8 ply, especially if using the elevator linkage/setup shown. Although I am not going to use the linkage shown for the elevator, I still feel this part should be ply for a little bit more strength in the tail section. I plan on using two low profile servos, one each side, in the stab for the elevator.

Part 25: 3/16 balsa. I bought a 1" x 2" x 36" balsa plank and ripped down a piece to 3/16 on a little Dremel table saw that I have.
Part 26: 3/8 balsa. I bought a 1-1/2" x 3" x 36" balsa plank and ripped down a piece to 3/8 on the Dremel table saw.

Part 8: 1/8 balsa.

Parts 9 & 12: don't know. 9 seems to be the same as 10?? 12 looks like it might be a cross support for the cowl, but it doesn't measure out quite right from the pod top view.

Also, parts 10, 11, & 13 call out 5/16 ply. I could not find 5/16 or 3/8 ply. So I bought two sheets of 3/16 ply from my local hobby shop and laminated them together to get 3/8 ply.

Also, I highly suggest laminating thinner strips of wood together to make the center line fuse longerons. So instead of using stock 3/8 square sticks, use 3/16 x 3/8 sticks and laminate. The thinner strips bend much easier without breaking, and the lamination gives better strength.

I bought most of my wood online from LoneStar Models in Texas (lonestar-models.com). Good luck, this one isn't easy!!

One side note, I did get a hold of the Bill Effinger plans for this plane (91 inch wingspan) last month. Much better detail, much better plan in my opinion. Problem is, I'm too far into this German one already to even think about stopping and starting over on a different one!

I hope all this helps!

Fred