RCU Forums - View Single Post - New CMP 50-sized Corsair
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 AM
zeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CMP 50-sized Corsair

Hell yeah its still airworthy

Its a great plane, I've only hade to fix and repaint one side of the rudder due to poor retracts and the idle adjusted a tad high on the throttle = Nose over, fall over, and rudder takes it all. My fault. But the rudder now looks a bit more weathered, which is fine by me.

Got your eyes set on retracts? I can't really recommend the World Models retracts. They have some slop, which ain't helping on landing. Still I have managed to land many times without *ahem* "nose brake" engaged...
They might be fixable, I haven't had time to look into it.

Someone recommended the Sportsman Aviation rotating retracts (available as spare part for their Corsair). I haven't seen these myself, they're probably sold under a different name over here, still haven't figured out which []
Unless you want to spend the money on air retracts...

Got an engine for it yet?
I'm using the ASP 70 4-stroke, works great! I planned to put an ASP 61 4-stroke in it first but it was too light. You need weight up front.
So my advice would be, if you go for a 4-stroke ASP/Magnum/SC/SY (they are the same) don't to for nothing smaller than the 70.
And just for your information... the ASP 70, 80 and 91 share pretty much the same dimensions. I believe the 91 is actually a couple of mm smaller than the 70!

If I where to build another CMPro Corsair 50 I would mount the cowl a bit more further. As it is now mine is pretty much pressed against the fuselage now. I would try and go for 5mm further out. This means you can get away with mounting the engine further away from the fuselage. This plane is very heavy on the tail!
AND you'll get some extra cooling that way. The downside is that the cowl will be more sensitive to nose overs.
I got the receiver battery AND 300grams of lead mounted on a "stick" under the engine (I can get pictures if you'd like), only way I got it to balance (and remember to read about the CG earlier in this thread! I think both Larry and I used 3" (his advice))

Oh and one last thing... Remember that this is a warbird. Its a great flyer and looker. And it doesn't fly like some of the sport scale Corsairs out there. But thats part of the charm! Its not supposed to!

Good luck and remember to share pictures and info as you go along!