RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair
Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

BOTH servos are in the fuselage above the wing saddle. The rudder servo is connected via Sullivan precision control rods to the black 'bellcrank' in the pictures. The bellcrank has a wheel collar in it which 'binds'/ attaches it to the metal rudder post. The bellcrank also has the fish lines attached/ connected to it, which in turn connect to the tailwheel (after traveling thru the eyelets) for tailwhhel streering.

I replaced the stock Robart steering control horn (I didn't like the set screw in threaded plastic setup) with a servo arm, which appeared to be the right size for my needs. A small wheel collar was installed in the control horn to attach it to the strut post (a hole had to be drilled into the servo arm for the set screw).

The retract servo is mounted right next to the rudder servo (in the fuselage, above the wing saddle). Thus, it has 2 retract servos: one to mechanically actuate the tailwheel retract via another Sullivan Precision control rod, the other is mounted on the wing to actuate the air retract valve for the mains. The 2 are on separate channels, but controlled by the same transmitter switch on my Futaba 9CAP.

And yes: it is a very cramped area, which is part of the reason for the difficulty. Like I said: I put a lot of effort into making the retract tailwheel work properly, so plan on the same. If your's turns out to be easier, more power to you. In the end, I think it was worth it. I don't really notice it so much when I'm flying it, but it sure looks better when I take pictures of it (in flight).