RCU Forums - View Single Post - Truth is stranger than fiction in model airplanes
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Truth is stranger than fiction in model airplanes

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with aerodynamics. So I've moved it to RC Humour.

The oddest thing I've had happen occured recently. I was flying my 1/2A rudder only model when the rubber bands holding the stabilizer on finally decided to let go from old age (there's a moral there ). The stabilizer flew off in one direction and the model in another. The model immediatly did 1/2 an outside loop but as it nosed up the negative G's starved the Cox Black Widow fuel pickup and the engine quit at around 300 feet up. I figured I'd be watching the end of it but it settled into a nice inverted glide. I was even able to use the rudder to control it and perform a creditable landing with no damage at all. The stab was then found with a bit of effort and the model lived to fly another day.

Another story about models with "too many unneeded parts" occured to a club mate of mine some years ago. His sailplane with a 3 peice wing snapped a tip panel joiner on the winch. It snap rolled off the line and I guess his reflexs cut in after a second and he rolled the model upright by using full up aileron on the remaining panel and about 1/2 flaps on the inboard panel. This was enough to restore stable flight and he was even able to turn slightly into the long side. The landing occured uneventfully and he was even able to spot land it within 20 feet of himself. I know it happened because I was the one timing his flight!