RCU Forums - View Single Post - Construction Pics of a Carden 35% Edge 540
Old 02-24-2003, 12:35 AM
Ron Eisner
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates on the EDGE... cans and cowl

The Edge is now ready to cover and a few new changes have been made... first, we are going with cans. What an experience!

Hard to imagine NONE of the 100 manufacturers have posted the correct standoffs, headers and cans for this kit. We have now been through the 2 into 1 from DA and passed 'cause of the midrange "maybe" transition, next, the first set of twin cans that are just a bit too long (without going past the rear motorbox bulkhead) and... two sets of headers, one with too shallow of a drop and the others with the flex pipe attached not even close.

We believe we have it figured out and I'll post more as soon as they are properly installed. What I would like to do is post a proper "drop in" parts list.

Next change, I am going back to the more traditional "cowl ring" design, with the cowl ring now bolting right to F-1. I just can't get a perfect flush (with the hatch and fuse sides) seem with the Carden 1" stand-off design. Have any of you had the same problem?

Finally... following are a couple shots of the cowl template for the new "ring".

And, a EZ change to those awful ply cowl joiners.

First I drop the squares they provide in the scrap box and replace them with a single strip of 1/8"X1/2"X10" birch attached with Pacer Fiber-Poxy. I just can't get regular epoxy to hold all those individual blocks. And YES, I do sand and clean off any release agent. I use "Button HD Socket Screws 6-32X1/2 from Micro Fasteners, (1-800-892-6917) part # SBA0608. 100 count for $4.80 and blind nuts... mounted temporary (backwards) until final fit.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57772_660.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	32245