RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cool heli pictures.
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Bxcar32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cool heli pictures.

While I agree with HOMEBREWER about the fact that two wheel landings are, infact, taught at AQC at both Ft Rucker, EAATS and retaught at HAATS, it is not as easy at it would seem.

First off, the aft landing gear are approximately 50 behind the pilots. Since the pilots can not see from the 3 o'clock to the 9 o'clock position they rely on the verbal calls from the flight engineer in the back. Keep in mind, the flight engineer can only call two directions at a time (example right 2, down 4/ or left 7, back 5) He will then count down to 0 from there and give you new directions. He will repeat this until you have landed as briefed and intended. This would seem easy enough, but coupled with what ever the environmental conditions are and what your rotor wash is doing makes things a bit more difficult. Plus, once you have your wheels planted the fun is not over. You will have to apply up to 2 inches of aft cyclic to set your squat switches to cancel out the AFCS inputs to your flight controls. Now you have ot compensate for your what your rotor wash is doing to your helicopter. Your nose will pitch up and down while you sit there and wait for the guys to unload and load up what ever they are doing. Also, depending on how large the landing area is you may or may not have ample room to manuever in the LZ.

The Chinook's aft rotor disk is 18' above the ground at ground taxi and has a 60' rotor diameter. If you look at the left and right side of the Photo, you will see trees on both sides. though they may look far from the helicopter, 10' of actual space looks like 2' from the crews perspective. Tight LZ's are no joke and neither are Mountain Ops. I had a friend who crashed in a tight LZ that I landed at 2 days earlier doing the same type of pinacle landing. Plus, that roof is approximately 20'x30', and you can be sure that there is no way it could stand the weight of a 30,000# helicopter.

Remember; Those that can, fly Chinooks. Those that can't, Fly something else.