RCU Forums - View Single Post - Home Hobby Solutions Kwik Fli III Discussion
Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 PM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home Hobby Solutions Kwik Fli III Discussion

The comment about the Hershey Bar wing reminded me of a note I got from Marty Barry who won one of my Kwik Fli III kits at the Perry GA show raffle a while back:

"I worked for Kraft from 1969 till 1981. So, I'm quite familiar with these series of airplanes. The best one of the bunch was the MkIV which Larry Leonard won the Nats with in or around the very early 70's. It was a MK III with a tapered wing. Phil never flew one, it was Larry's modification and Phil was too proud and stubborn to fly some else's airplane. "

(When I created the kit in the 60's I went with a tapered wing primarily for aesthetic reasons based on Kraft's comments in the construction article. There he mentioned he'd tried tapered wings but didn't think they were the effort. Since I was using foam wing construction and strip ailerons, tapered or square was all the same. As they say, the rest is history. Kraft and the original Kwik Fli III both became deservedly famous. As for me and my version ....)

Marty's being an ex Kraft employee and winning one of the last kits and then his comment about the tapered wing was fascinating coincidence after all these years.

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64226.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	601848