RCU Forums - View Single Post - How much do you spend on model airplanes?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:11 AM
ArtW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much do you spend on model airplanes?

I went through my expenses for RC airplanes and realize I was wrong in my estimate. I thought I spent $1600 to $2000 but it is more like $2500 to $3000 a year. When you look at the number it is important to try to compare it to other stuff. If I don't go flying what would I do to relax? Well I could restore my mental health at a psychiatrist for $250 an hour once a week for $1000 a month or $12,000 a year. I could fly General Aviation (GA) at $120 an hour to rent + $70 for the instructor + $2,000 a year for insurance + the $2,500 GPS unit +++. I went flying with a guy who owned his own plane, hanger, and airstrip. He had an ugly stick that he had crashed. I thought about the joy of flying it, he had stuffed it in a corner. After a half an hour or so of talk about his $350,000 Beech Debonair, he began talking about the turboprop he wanted to build/buy, it was only $500,000 if he built it himself. When you own a GA plane, your dream is of another GA plane. The only difference between RC and GA aircraft desire is three more zeros after everything you buy. I have another friend who owns a really nice Piper Cub, a hangar, etc. He wants to build a Zenith CH801 Stol. I priced it out, it is only $80,000 for the parts for the kit + 1,200 to 2,000 hours to build.

$2,500 a year sounds like a lot until you compare it to something else. $250,000 Cessna 172? I took my kids skiing and we spent $1,500 for equipment and tickets for two days. Now the equipment will last for many years but the lift tickets and hotel add up to hundreds a day. Oh, and we have a 4W Drive to get to the mountains. One of my friends stayed in a $5,000,000 ski cabin at Vail. RC costs something but compared to other hobbies it is cheep.

The RC aircraft I fly now cost $200. The engine $300. The radio, you get the idea. The entire cost of the plane is under $1000 and it has more than 100 flights on it. The cost per flight is less than $20. That is quite a bargain compared to GA aircraft at $200 an hour. Oh, and when I want to upgrade my plane because, well because I just want to, I don't need another mortgage.