RCU Forums - View Single Post - How much do you spend on model airplanes?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much do you spend on model airplanes?

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Norfolk- my mother still lives up there in Novi,Mich so I know your general cost of living situation. I used to live there too, many moons ago. My job with Chrysler took me to the Hamtramck assy plant a few times. It's not the most expensive place to be so I suppose if you were in a reasonable single bedroom apt you could get by with an income in the 30-40's. Mind you, I wouldn't want to but it could be done. It's really hard for us to say because we don't know enough about your personal situation and habits. What one person can thrive on another will starve on.
The good thing, is that I learned how to fly a model aircraft. Had I decided to not spend the money, I would have never acheived that goal. But now I know what it's like, and I enjoyed it. Well, it turns out that my car required more than just brakes. I had to repair the engine and front suspension too. So, I ended up selling all the R/C equipment. Both planes, the radio, whatever fuel was left, the hardware, covering, adhesives, tools, everything. Gone. The local hobby shop was very nice about the situation, They even waived their commission and I was able to get the full amount of the sale. None the less, I consider this sell-out as being worse than losing a plane in a crash, because it will put me out of hobby, probably indefinitely. I suppose I could go back there and forgo my other expenses while plunking down $160.00 on a park flyer, but that hobby shop will probably convince me to do otherwise, and with good reason. All that spending I did last summer on R/C related stuff got me into quite a bit of trouble, and I ended up with a lot of unpaid bills. By the time the local churches got done paying them, I learned a very hard lesson: When your primary income is food stamps and public assistance and your rent is vouchered, you have absolutely no business being involved in model aviation!

NorfolkSouthern