RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP 46-60 Giles 202?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 06:01 PM
WarpedWing
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Giles

I had one of these for about a year. I was using a 91 4S and a 14x6 prop---I CG'd it per plans. I thought that the handling of this plane was just "off". Aeileron control was crisp----plane rolled better than any plane I've ever had. However, I couldn't get comfortable with elevator authority----low rates always seemed too low and high rates always seemed too high----no matter how much I adjusted them. Landings were always an adventure----never quite got the proper elevator throws dialed in to properly flair the plane. Knife edge flight characteristics were pretty good--fair amount of coupling. Had trouble keeping the 91 4S cool enough---the cowling is pretty tight. Overall, flight characteristics of an Extra or Laser are much better, IMO. BTW, I loved the design of this kit----really nice engineering and parts fit. My rudder servo was in the back----and I had periodic RF problems stemming from the long servo lead. Interestingly enough, I've flown the larger GP Giles ARF. That plane flies much smoother, much less "twitchy". I wouldn't build another .46 GP Giles, but I'd buy one of the ARF's. have fun,....WarpedWing.