RCU Forums - View Single Post - center Hub wobbling - Main shaft ok !
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 04:55 PM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: center Hub wobbling - Main shaft ok !

I got my new shaft Thursday, and as I expected, it didn't make any difference. I've still been flying at least 2 batteries a day since the new shaft got here. Today, I was on my second battery, kinda feeling like I should land in another minute or two and go charge the batteries. The heli was two feet off the ground about 10 feet away when it happened. The whole head assembly flew about 5 feet into the air, while the rest of the heli flipped over sideways and landed upsidedown in the snow. I hit the throttle hold on my 9C and picked up the pieces. Before I inspected anything, I thought that something like that would happen if I forgot to put the retaining screw back into the center hub. But nope, the center hub itself broke right above where the main shaft ends. And, surpisingly enough, the center hub is the only piece broken. The flybar links popped off the swashplate without breaking any ball links, and the blade grips even survived to my complete relief. Everything landed in about 6" of soft snow, so nothing was broken on impact. The canopy did end up partially packed with snow, and it was causing some radio glitching. Hopefully replacing the hub will eliminate or reduce the vibration, but I'm a little doubtful of that happening.

I also noticed today that the tail is beginning to wiggle side-to-side a little. This would indicate to me that the gyro gain needs to be turned down. But since it's been fine until now, is it a sign that the tail motor is already going out?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73261.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	603379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77991.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	603380