RCU Forums - View Single Post - MosquitoBite "Robin" build
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: MosquitoBite "Robin" build

Understand that I'm a cheap so-and-so.

I read up up on the Robin and it looks like an interesting design. "Wide speed envelope" would make it a nice model. Not sure how speedy a .46 will drag a 72" wing through the air so I am eager to see first flights. It do look sleek except for the wing.

I also have a soft spot for STOL. One of our "alternate" winter fields is a town park that has a hairy approach over buildings (which we try not to overfly under penalty verbal abuse) and the other end is a river. Trees line either side. Years ago I brought in a hot model on skis and, as earlier I had made a trip "up river", I wanted her in steep. I hit a tree, spun 360ยบ corrected her flat just as the skis hit and stopped her at my feet with a twig sticking completely through the wing panel covering.

Carried that twig in my flight box for years.

Since than I've played a lot with flaps, flaperons and spoilerons. I have a Contender 60 with a .70 four-stroke (with the large apron flap) and other modelers here are telling me she flies nice with a .46 two stroke. Mine's pretty heavy and flies and lands nice, but is hardly a crow at alighting. I may have to scratch a second one together with the smaller engine and as many STOL features as I can work in just for giggles.

Good luck with your build. I'll be following along! (Me Pappy was born in 1912. Dad always blamed me on his mixing Geratol and Jack Daniels in one night ).