RCU Forums - View Single Post - moving the firewall back on a CG Ultimate..?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:51 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default moving the firewall back on a CG Ultimate..?

I'm using 5 ply aircraft for firewall and 1/4" spruce stringers as opposed to smaller balsa ones in kit....I'm gonna glass the joint as suggested...thanks! I would not use spruce stringers. If you feel the need to stiffen the deck, add a couple of balsa formers. It will be much more effective and light weight.

leaving aft fuse punch outs in sides for mounting dual elevator servos in tail....Hitec 225MG mini's Good plan. Keep the push rods as short as practical.

Dual aileron servos...Hitec 77 low profile's (having trouble deciding/figuring out how to build servo mounts in the wing) Also a good plan. I used standards on their sides and it was a huge PITA. I would make a recessed tray to minimize the amount of servo hanging out of the wing. Pretty standard set-up.

1650ma NiMh will be toward the back to balance the big Saito 150...
Yowza, your tx will not last that long. 1100 would be fine.

I guess I'll just leave the firewall where it is and have the engine about 1/2" forward of plans...with the servos in the tail and battery aft, I should be ok...right? Yea, no big drama here.

4-40 all around (or maybe carbon 2-56). Can't decide! I use 2-56 unless the rod will be too long so that it can buckle (the aileron interconnecting rod, for example, needs to be 4-40). In most cases, 4-40 hardware is way more beefy than anything it's attached to.

Any body have a better than plans suggestion for the pull-pull system on the rudder? Also, Hitec 645MG ok? I don't like metal gear servos too much. I'm using a 605. I like the CGM pull-pull hardware. It's simple and effective. If you want to go "hi-tech", try a kevlar system.