RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to transport your jets for about $300 by vehicle and trailer
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to transport your jets for about $300 (by vehicle/trailer)

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

One word of caution when using the Harbor Freight, Great Northern, etc. trailer kits with the 10" or 12" tires - they really can't be towed at more than 55 MPH (max) for any length of time as the wheel bearings are not up to the task. They also don't have any suspension (tires provide the only shock absorbing) so they provide a very rough ride for your toys. I used one for a while and it was great for short trips, but twice had the bearings fail on longer trips.

Keeping that in mind, they are a great solution to the small car/no space problem...and the price is right!

Barry
Barry,
I think they've improved the design a bit maybe from when you had one. They've actually got spring-flex plates for some suspension and with some work you can add some small S.As if wanted. The price is nice for $200 and it folds up, which was the only option for me. I'll have to post pics and a small build thread, maybe tomorrow, I'll have more time.
I installed some rigid board insulation on the box bottom and eye hooks screw down into the lightweight frame structure at various places where I'll use flat rubber ties to secure the aircraft and supplies. On top of the insulation is bed egg crate material foam but I'll looking for some thicker stuff so if anyone has any ideas on where to get that, I'll all ears.

Felker, One thing I haven't done is paint the inside, might be nice, I may do it. Since I'm not finished yet, I may dress up the exterior as well. I built it very rigid but I'm going to put it through some more tests as well as the hose test I mentioned.

John, the trailer folds up and stands on four casters so you can wheel it around your garage, it's great! I'll get a better picture posted.
As far as the wheels if you have this trailer, make sure you pack the wheel bearings again but use a high quality poly-grease and pack it well. I want to avoid any failure there so I've taken care of that.
More to come, including the install of the hitch and wiring.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91437.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	613072