RCU Forums - View Single Post - Short video: FPV flying in the snow
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:08 AM
twinturbostang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Short video: FPV flying in the snow

While this is a good beginner airplane, you might do better getting a true trainer for your first plane. Don't get me wrong... this one is easy to fly. But there may be other planes that are easier to repair for when those "dumb thumb" situations appear. The Multiplex Easystar seems to be very popular. Or the GWS Slowstick. The TwinStar does have the advantage of having "elapor" foam, which I think is similar to EPP. This foam bends and gives under stress, which means it can take a lot of abuse. Styrofoam can be repaired usually pretty easily, but it tends to break very easy also. Which means just a slight bump and you will be back to the workbench. The Easystar is the same as the TwinStar in this regard. I was thinking that it might be best to start with something smaller though maybe, like the slowstick.

Eh, I don't know. I guess any of the above would be good to start out on. Crashing in inevitable and is part of the learning process. Get a simulator if you don't already have one though. These are great tools in teaching you reversal (when the plane is coming at you).

Flaperons is a more advanced function where the ailerons also function as flaps. Instead of having four total control surfaces (two ailerons and two flaps), the two ailerons double as flap control. This can be done with dual aileron servos and mixing in the transmitter (if your transmitter supports it).