RCU Forums - View Single Post - need more power!
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need more power!

trust me I've been out to the field with a couple dozen different props and even went with the same airframe with different engines to see what gave the best performance and regardless of the engine (in sizes of 90 and less) the APC props almost always gave the best performance IN THE AIR.

had to dig deep to come up with a pic of my old US40 ARF that started off with a Thunder Tiger 36 pro heli engine with a short heli pipe, best performance (by 15+ mph) was an APC 9x7, turned up to just shy of 16K and while it took a couple hundred feet of runway to get it off the ground, with gear up it was clocked with a hand held gun at 104 gear up, 97 gear down.

i got another US40 ARF (they only made the blue back in those days) to stick the then brand new designed Thunder Tiger 91 4-stroke, turned a 10x10 APC at 15K and while was considerably heavier then the TT36 version it would out run it hands down and only took a few inches of runway to get vertically airborne.

kc

EDIT: don't get me wrong, there are occasions that I've not got the best performance out of the APC and went with a different brand prop is on the larger engines that turn less RPM, my old Super Tigre 2500 and 4500 did best with the MAS and Zinger props, my 50cc gasser does best with a Bolly. I'm all about in the air performance and i always try many different size and brand props to find what works best on the engine/airframe combo I'm flying. i just finished up the Hanger 9 T-34 for a buddy with the OS 52 4 banger in it, best performance was with a 14-6 K series MAS, the APC 10x10 gave him the scale flight characteristics he liked but the K series was by far the best performance prop for that setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28365.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	620051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28313.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	620052