RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hobbico Accu Cycle ??
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobbico Accu Cycle ??

This is a simple cycler. connect the battery, select discharge rate, select display either mah or time, select number of cells, select charge rate. Discharge button resets display and starts counting time or mah, mah is most useful. after voltage is detected at less than 1.05 V per cell the dishcharge quits and a 15 hour charge is initiated. The display holds the mah discharged. It does nothing to count the charge sequence only the discharge. The unit is for only NiCD or NiMH cells. When flashing it is on trickle charge.

I too bought mine off ebay. Hobbico website has downloadable manual. Search forums for a calibration procedure. They are often off. You'll need a amp meter for this. However calibration is not necessary. Just run three discharge cycles and record average mah. Compare this over time to watch drop in performance. I do mine once maybe twice a year. When mah drops to a level, I use 85% of original test, I toss. I have not had to toss a pack, some are 4 years old. Do not go by manufactureres nameplate unless you calibrate the accu-cycle first. Mine was reading low mah by 15%.

Mine stays in the shop subjected to lots of balsa dust. The selector switch for charge rate gets dirty and hinders operation. Buy some contact cleaner and spray into switch while working back and forth. THis cleans up switch and restores performance. I noticed this when one pack gave mah readings all over the board. Checking it against amp meter showed the problem with switch.

Simple unit that handles everything about nicd and nimh.