RCU Forums - View Single Post - A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

I built this plane recently, and like you it was basically my first build. It was a handful. This is not a hard kit, but if you have no building experience it will be a bit of a challenge. This plane has some issues with engine placement, tank height to carb height, pushrod location, servo placement, and a few other things that are relatively simple after you know what to expect.

If you are up for the challenge, more power to you, but just so you know how it can turn out, mine is hanging on the wall right now because of fuel draw issues.

Also, standard servo's are a no go.

You want HS-81's and maybe an hs-55 or smaller for the throttle. I used something smaller and it was a handful to not only get it to fit, but to hook it up because it was so small (3 gram servo). You could probably use hs-56's on some surfaces, but 81's are what I would recommend. You also want a small receiver. I recommend the berg microstamps.

Leaving the gear on is a good idea, but you might want to bend the mains forward some so they are well in front of the leading edge of the wing. Mine had ground handling issues until I bent my gear.

As I have already said, be careful with fuel tank placement. When you are working on a small scale with inverted engines it becomes very critical. Mine almost didn't survive the first flight because the engine flooded from the tank being too high in relation to the carb. It hydro locked about 20 feet in the air during take off. I was lucky that it was being flown by a great flyer (maiden flight) who was able to turn it around and get it relatively back to the runway. It landed in a small bush, no damage. We had tested it on the stand and it had shown signs of flooding, but we had put 2 tanks through it making adjustments and thought we had fixed the problem.

Then again, if you wanna go electric, this plane would be great!