RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glow Experience Getting Started in Electric
Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Flyer 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glow Experience Getting Started in Electric

Since you've got experience already with glow planes, you might be able to pilot a more sporty-ish plane than the various 'Sticks.
I'd give the GWS Big Tiger Moth 400 a whirl. It's got ailerons, is a nice, slow flyer, yet can do almost all manuevers. I have a flying area similar in size to yours and fly from it all the time.
Stick in a brushless outrunner and LiPo battery, and you'll get both better performance and lighter weight. That'll help keep it in your area. Even though it's got ailerons the TM400 is VERY stable and in fact might just be the single best aileron trainer there is. Heck, the Tiger Moth in general is one of the very best PLANES there is (in the RC world anyhow).
If you're wanting to play it safe, the GWS Pico Tiger Moth is another great choice. It's a genuine slow-flyer in the style of the 'stick planes but far more realistic in appearance. Not too aerobatic since it's rudder and elevator only, but can do most manuevers.
Personally I'd go with the Big TM and immediately go brushless, not even installing the stock power unit. This outrunner comes with a GWS mount and has the same type of prop shaft the standard one does - just hook it up instead of the stock unit and you've got a big performance increase at little cost. Of course you'll need to get a brushless speed controller for it, also.
Flyer