RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"
Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Actions "How to port a Nitro Engine"

ORIGINAL: shesha

Hi i've been following this thread for some time, am very much interested in learning this art, however am way behind on the subject, would really like a more in depth how to on the timing subject as well as how to port the engines, any related articles on the web anyone would be kind enough to point me to.

Engine porting / timing is not something I have played with, pretty much played with everything else on the car.

Thanks for the info
I can explain how to calculate just how far up you would have to cut the ports to increase timing. The calculations are easy provided you know simple trigonomety (sines, cosines, tangents, and their arc-functions). If you have MS Windows XP, the in-computer calculator has a scientific function with trig functions on it and this will make the calculations a snap.

The hard part as far as employing clculations is measuring the dimensions accurately (for example, just how far down the piston is when the port in question begins to open).

Alternatively, you could use a degree wheel and eyeball the opening with a bright light to assist you in seeing just when the port in question begins to open. I personally prefer to calculate AND use the degree wheel and eyeball method together to verify both methods are giving accurate timings.

If you want, I can write up on instructional post on how to calculate timings and (hopefully) some of the better methods of determining when a port opens. Bear with me since such an essay will require me to draw driagrams and illustrations to assist the explanations.