RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARF people - What are your reasons for not building kits?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
cap10b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARF people - What are your reasons for not building kits?

All,
I love to build; just don’t have the time or the place to do it. The last plane I built from the ground up was a Yellow A/C Cap10b. Complete with paint and the whole nine yards was in 1992 or 93. I just don’t have the time to devote to building like that and I don’t have a place to build like that. ARF's now are cheaper (when you total up the end product) than I can build my self plus the ARF's are jig build and that is something you really have to work hard at on a 30-35% plane. Now I am venturing into Composite models and will not be working in wood. That's a new step for me, plus working with new materials and new techniques is always a challenge. I think building will never go away but building in wood may be a thing of the past.

jds

Ps- I do get more enjoyment out of flying and setting up the plane than I do building the plane and no I don’t worry about flying something someone else build because most of the stuff I fly is top rated equipment. The buzz on a certain planes quality goes around pretty fast. In fact if I built it I would be more afraid of it than not because I would know that certain parts of the plane looked or came out weak to me. And there is the Krupp Iron Works problem when I build I go over every little part of the airframe by the time I get done you can drive a Russian tank over it and not hurt it.
I get too carried away and wind up ruining the plane by making it too heavy. So I need the top notch ARF makers to build for me.

jds