RCU Forums - View Single Post - Crash today at Florida Jets.
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crash today at Florida Jets.

I would like to add my two cents as I was located about 10 feet from the incident and remained with the injured pilot until he left for the clinic. The incident was apparently unavoidable although precations were taken (ie. safety fence which did slow the plane down). Although in the end the injury was quite minor it was taken quite seriously by the officials. There was an EMT on hand (whom I spoke with after the incident) and he tended to the fellow immediately using first aid equipment that was on hand at the field. Clearly everyone that was involved put the injured man's condition as a first priority with models secondary.

Frank laying out the facts as he did shows responsibility for the matter

I don't want to downplay the fact that this incident was serious but we need to recognize the fact that this was an accident. Once an accident takes place I believe there are two things that are important.

1. What can we do to avoid such an accident - with a mechanical malfunction there is not much that can be done besides a pre-flight. ALthough this particalar pilot has had a number of incidents in the (no offense to the pilot, jsut stating ths fact {lol}) past he is quite serious about this hobby and his aircraft (as Frank stated this plane had flown several times without incident). I can also tell you that from personal experience as I have been witness to several previous incidents they have normally not been of a mechanical failure nature.

2. Was the response effort sufficient and appropriate - based on what I saw firsthand I believe that the situation was handled efficiently and professionally

In conclusion, I propose that we not flame each other, the event, or it's organizers.

If you have a valid suggestion on how you think that there can be a safety improvement why not make a suggestion to Frank. I am sure he will be receptive as his goal in the end is for everyone to have a safe and enjoyable time

Thanks-
Sean