RCU Forums - View Single Post - GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair
Old 03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hey Guys, **** FLITE METAL****
Got a couple of Pms on how I did the "Flite Metal" Its really nice material to work with, after reading all the info that I got with the product, they suggest you try it on a scrap piece,and I'll vouch for that. I was a little intimidated at first, but once I got the feel for what I was doing it turned out quite easy,and besides LIKE THE SAYING GOES"Columbus took a chance".Flite metal is a very soft aluminum with an adhesive backing, after you get your pieces laid out what I did was transfer them to the product using a pencil, take your trusty xacto knife and cut it out, peel off the protective paper backing and apply to the model, I used my index finger to smooth it out working from the center out. I did have trouble cutting the radius on some of the pieces, so I took a circle template and a large T pin(be sure its a sharp one)and positioned the template in place and scored the aluminum lightly and applying more pressure till I was through the aluminum,then took scissors to trim up and scragly edges.
WHEN DRAWING FULL CIRCLE(LIKE THE FUEL TANK COVER) I used a compass set I also put a few small pieces of tape in the center to protect the center from any pin holes. what I found out to be the perfect tool for drawing the large circle was the ink attachment that comes with many compass sets. I took some #600 sandpaper and sharpened the part that would come in contact with the flite metal both sides. you need to get it sharp to score the metal,it took several rotation of the compass to go through it,and if you use this method you need to secure the compass in its width to keep from moving. peel off the backing and apply. if you plan on doing rivets I used the same method that I posted earlier. If anyone has question feel free to PM me.
George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1