RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Koverall
Thread: Sig Koverall
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sig Koverall

Other than the use of the Stix-It, Ken and I are completely in accord with the application techniques. I don't use butyrate dope any longer, since switching over to automotive finishes. If I wanted a more dull appearence, I might consider butyrate dope again. Ken, I agree with you about the rib stitching on a 1/5th scale model. Just not much bang for the buck there.

Important note..... Koverall will shrink approximately 12%, so go easy on the heat. Once you have achieved the maximum shrinkage, continuing to apply heat will not shrink the fabric more, in fact, trying to overshrink the fabric will result in the fiber beginning to elongate, and you can end up with a baggy mess. Elongation is growth. the opposite of shrinkage. Do not ever attempt to apply the Koverall wet (as you would do when using silk) Koverall is a high thread count Dacron woven polyester, and wet application will wet the framework and not the cloth. Dacron is hygraphobic (will not absorb moisture) so wetting the fabric does nothing for shrinkage. Silk is hygrascophic (will absorb moisture) and wetting the fabric does promote shrinkage. Hope that helps.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1