RCU Forums - View Single Post - Regular guy's Phenom thread
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Regular guy's Phenom thread

I will give you a hint on the Phenom, glue the wings and fins on last!

thos 12 psc to glue on for the cowl mounting tabs must be done first. you may need to buy a long drill for the screw holes. I made a tap extention using a 1/4 or 3/8 wood dowel.... I drilled a hole to snug fit the tap into the end of the dowel and a drop of cya and it was good to go. If you have a Production Tool Suppy or J & L Industrial suppy... you can buy long drills that you may need also years ago I bought a set of drills that had: Letter A-Z Number: 1-60 and Fractional 1/64 - 1/2 by 64's drills.

the long drill & tap was used when drilling/tapping the mount for the faring cover on the top side of the wing.

to glue down the faring to the servo hatch...1st I glue in some balsa into the closed end (front) of the faring and then sanded it flush to the bottom... this increases contact area to the hatch. using 220 grit I sanded the cowl and faring to match the contour of the airframe.

tip # 2 when drilling the hinge holes in the elevons...
drill the 1/4 diameter 1/4" deep first! ( hing pivot point relief )
then the 3/16" (?) as I recall for the Robart hinge.
drilling plastic/composite a 1/4 drill will want to "screw" itself into the 3/16 hole.

I suggested to Russ these holes should be done at oakdale on a fixture to keep them on location and correct depth. I have bought a drill to make a "step drill" for this operation. One drill two diameters.