RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aurora 60 Build Thread - Electric Power
Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Bootalini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aurora 60 Build Thread - Electric Power

I'ts been a while since I last posted. I've had a lot on the go lately.

As you can see in the 1 photo, I now have 2 cowlings which are lighter and a better quality than the original MK product. Anyone seeking additional info on this can PM me.

Wings are nearing completion with only the wheel wells and servo bays to be trimmed. Next on the list is attaching the new cowl and shaping the lower fuselage. I'll soon be ready to start applying the 1/2oz cloth. I'm going to use MinnWax Polycrylic to apply the cloth and and the same with corn starch to fill the weave. For paint, I've pretty much decided on Auto-Air water based paints for the color coats and I'll use a standard automotive clear to seal the whole mess . Anyone have recomendations on what I should use as a first coat on the bare wood as a sealer before I apply the cloth and water based Polycrylic??? Dope maybe?

I'm also in the process of designing a new motor mount which PTXMan will fabricate for me. The mount supplied with the motor package is quite good but it's "X" shape centers on the back of the motor which would normally be fine for most airplanes. The issue with the Aurora is that it was designed for beam mounts and as such it has a minimalistic firewall. Two of the mounting points on the Hyperion aluminum mount would be left hanging with nowhere to attach to. My solution is a larger rectangular mount with the holes for the motor bolts being offset as required. Anyway, have a look at the attached photo and it will become clear. The stock mount is next to the draft CAD drawing for reference.

Jeff L
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39533.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	639353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10298.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	639354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21904.jpg
Views:	112