RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rebuilt T-15 won't start.
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 11:06 PM
magnus213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt T-15 won't start.

Hello everyone,

As you can see this is my first post on this massive forum, but I am not quite new to R/C. I've owned an HPI Micro RS4 and RS4 3 Evo for a year or two and I'm looking for help to get the latter running. I used to have a lot of time for my R/C habit, but when I turned 16 and went into 1:1 scale modifying the Evo got left behind. I've decided to resurrect it, which meant pulling apart and cleaning up the engine, putting in a HPI racing clutch, new fuel lines, and a fuel filter. Now, I've got the stock T-15 and rotostart going on. When I go to start the car, the rotostart turns with almost no resistance. The fuel was primed, the plug was good- I know the compression of the engine is fine because it requires moderate effort to turn it over by hand. I thought my glow plug igniter wasn't up to snuff, so I charged it all night but to no avail. Whereas I thought first that I wasn't getting any combustion, the fact that I don't even feel the resistance of the crank turning with the rotostart leads me to believe that the starter shaft isn't turning the crank.

The HPI website doesn't go into detail about setting the starter shaft up with the crank. In my unit, the starter shaft has a connecting-rod sized recess that gets a little deeper to a small edge that catches the whole thing. However, I have some play in the starter shaft back and forth (into and out of the engine, looking from opposite side of carb) and the starter shaft only really turns the whole piston from bottom dead center to about 2/5 of a full revolution. I guess my questions are: (1. is this normal? Is the starter shaft only supposed to turn the motor over for that short of a rotation? (2. did I reassemble something wrong? (3. am I neglecting some gross oversight? (4. do you guys need pictures to get the full effect?

Thanks in advance, folks. And by the way-- does anyone know what ever happened to hpiforums.com? That place used to be awesome, I can only remember one guy named Biggusditchus or something to that effect. I went back after a year hiatus and it was gone.