RCU Forums - View Single Post - Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Stevel182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

According to Webster...
Hobby:
Noun
Definition:
A pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation or pleasure.

According to Steve:
A pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation or pleasure that empties my wallet and makes me add on to my garage so I can engage in it more often.

Further:
If you like Electrics, build one, buy one, but fly it. Whatever makes you happy, it's your hobby or your idea of it. Electrics are neat and tidy and there is some danger in them, so that's fun, sort of.
Personally, I like glow.

Glow is cool. There have been so many fuels, and I have tried most of them. Anybody used Duke's Purple?
Wow, am I really that old?
But I digress..

Glow airplanes sound great, smell great, look fantastic. Glow, well it's messy, you have to clean it up, it's dangerous and it burns.
What's not to like?
There's nothing like a great looking airplane with a big honkin' glow motor bolted to the front of it, ready to swing prop and eat sky.

I like to tune engines, I like to build airplanes with a fuel Tank. I like to fill, and clean, and tune and prep my airplane, because when it's in the air, it's uniquely mine. Even if there are a hundred like it, it's tuned my way, it's cleaned my way, and it's prepped my way. Electrics just don't have that. They don't have that "sound", that smell, that smoke trail in the sky (not from a smoke system). Electrics are just too sterile. No personality.

Remember, it's a hobby. It's supposed to make you happy, and feel good. Hobbies like this take away the grind of everyday crap, like work at the office, office politics, your boss, whatever. Do what you like. I'll respect you even if you fly an electric, or a sailplane, or a foamy, whatever. We're brothers either way. I like stuff that flies, and you like stuff that flies. We already have more in common than most people.

Just my opinion. I have an electric. It sits on a shelf. It reminds me why I like my glow stuff.

Sorry. Did I rant?

Fill it
Start it.
Tweak it.
Fly it.

But mostly,
Fly it.

Stevel