RCU Forums - View Single Post - Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed?

the title was worst Thing then in the post it was changed to Airplane but I've been fortunate to not have lost an airplane that was very expensive in the 18+ yrs I've been flying, i did however have a canopy pop off a 60 size X-cell heli during fast backward flight and it hit the blades hard enough it broke one of them and it proceeded to beat its self to death at about 300' AGL, absolutely nothing was salvageable, the one blade that was left folded and chopped all the radio compartment to tiny bits and pieces spreading parts all over the runway which is 1500' in length. the engine went WOT when the servo/linkage was cut into and slung the rod through the crankcase but not before the gazillion RPM destroyed the clutch and clutch bell, tuned pipe was flattened on impact with the concrete. total loss of over $4 grand

the sad part is i also had a 50 size heli do the same thing (while pushing a hard outside loop during fast backward flight) less then a year ago. pics of it were posted in the heli forum back when it happened, not the best pics as the only cam i had was a cell phone. on the 50 i did manage to salvage the engine with only minimal damage to the cooling fins so it wasn't a complete loss

FWIW the 50 had the canopy secured to the front strut with a screw which was supposedly to prevent that from happening.

kc