RCU Forums - View Single Post - How much does a turbo go for? worth it?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
asl4lyfe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much does a turbo go for? worth it?

On the other hand turbo's ARE good but there is a noticable amount of time when you press the gas and the turbo kicks in. This is called LAG. If you stick with those big 500+ horsepower turbo's, your turbo will only kick in when exhaust gas pressure is enough and of course that will only be in very high RPM's. I say just go with a small turbo for street drivabillity. There are other setups too such as sequential twin turbo, there are two turbo's 1 small and 1 big. At low RPM's only the small turbo operates and at high RPM's both the small and big operate at the same time. The sequential turbo can be seen in supra's.They give perfect response and there is no lag. The other two are compound and jus the normal twin turbo's. Compound turbocharging uses also 1 big and 1 small turbocharger but the big turbocharger compresses the air going to the small turbocharger. Because of this the pressures can some can exceed 100 psi. They are normally used in diesel racing. The last one is just the normal twin turbo where 1 turbo runs off half the engine's exhaust and the other turbo runs of the other half. I don't know if I'm sure but there was this car maker that used something called a twin charger where it utilised a supercharger and turbocharger.Of course if your gonna be racing your gonna spend alot on the engines especially the fuel system and engine block because of the high compression ratios.