RCU Forums - View Single Post - HELP! Photon Diff Problems
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 PM
RADAR G-Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Photon Diff Problems

UNBELIEVABLE!! RC-Boss, I owe you a BIG apology! I finially had a chance to check it out and the problem was the pinion/main gear mesh! When I removed the motor, the drive shaft rotated smoothly. I then replaced the motor and "eyeballed" the gear mesh, the rough spots were gone! I ran it a little in the house and the "clicking" was gone!

Sorry for all the yelling, I'm just glad that the problem was not the diffs.. I'd rather have egg on my face than have to replace a major component (and bother you more).

I am sooooo sorry for my ignorance of jumping to conclusions before I really checked it out. Believe me, "panic mode" is really not my style. But in this case.........well, I guess the facts speak for themselves. I have a couple of excuses, but that's not my style either.

Thank you for your support and understanding. I know we will enjoy the Photon very much. I may be in touch with you in the near future about advise on upgrades and hop ups. For now I'm just "tickled to death" to have a solid stock car. You can understand that my first experience, after dropping some big bucks, did not leave me with much of a "warm fuzzy".

I am still going to look into shims for the diffs. I know that with all the power in this thing, (and after loosing one diff) it would be good to "beef" them up. I will also play with the throttle response curve (when I get the cable) to try and make the "take-off" power a little more subtle. It's very harse and jerky on take-off.

By the way, can you suggest a proper method of aligning the pinion and main gear? I know that I don't want it too tight, but I imagine that too loose can't be a good thing either. I just tightned it up until it was a little snug, then backed it off a little so that everything was smooth. I don't want to run it hard until I know it's right (at least close).

I also noticed that the Mamba gets very hot. Can it handle this heat, or is there something I can do about that?

I know........after all this, I'm asking more questions. Well, if your bored and have a little time on your hands, I would appreciate your input (again).

Thanks again RC-Boss. I'll let you know how things are going as I run it more. I'm excited again!

HOOT