RCU Forums - View Single Post - 86" Progress Reports
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 86" Progress Reports

Emvin...

The bolts you need are listed in the manual. It's in the engine installation section. QQ says to get them from Lowes. For the record...they should be 1/4 x 20, 1" long. I go with the bolt type head so I can really put the torque on them. I had an engine come loose in my CAP. That wasn't exactly a pleasant experience. Also for the record...I got my bolts at ACE Hardware. Smaller store, less time.

On my desk is a pitts muffler. It's the one off my AirWild (I'm using that engine because I won't be flying the AirWild for a while do to midair). If you look in the back, right area, you'll also see my "gleaming" new cannister. That's the set up I'm going with. I'm hoping for "quiet power". I think I'll get 200+ more RPM than with the pitts. At least that's the idea.

Plasticman...

Good on ya...glad the engine runs. Did I insall mine wrong or are the needles going to be almost impossible to reach. It looks like they left an opening on the opposite side of the engine area for something...but not the side where the needles actually are. I think the only way possible to adjust the needles on mine is to remove the cowl.

I'm "pinning" the firewall right where the standoffs go. I'm drilling 4 holes around each hole for the standoffs and glueing a dowel in each of the holes. Hopefully this will give more resistance against collasping the firewall when the bolts are tightened. I'll try to post a picture of that tonight. I've read here on RCU somewhere that was a good idea. I'm also going to CA all around my firewall cutout to add back some strength.

I got my "super light" Kaven wheels and titanium axles yesterday. So I'm good to go. The only thing I'm missing is the hinges for the ailerons. If they show up today I'm still looking good for a Saturday maiden.

I'm a lot further along than you'd think by looking at the pictures.

Oh yeah, I looked at my canopy last night. I can't see anything wrong with it. I haven't glued in the pins yet or tried to install it but visually it's fine and I set it on the plane and it matches up good. Also, no overspary of paint. So...maybe I got a lucky one.

Thanks
Barry