RCU Forums - View Single Post - Multi Engine-Out Training Device
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Multi Engine-Out Training Device

Where Rod is correct that all full scale and even SOME models require VMC to be attained, not all models
do.. Again.. an over powered plane will be capable of going into the air and not attain control speed..
Control is attained by motor thrust..
Now, if weight and mass are not a consideration then look up what VMC is:
http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/aerodyna...lti/Page4.html
And again, most models have more than a 1:1 power to weight ratio..
If VMC were required then 3D would not exist..

All of the planes you mentioned including the Twinstar would probably react decent with your product..
However, if I were to use something as pictured, which is capable of going into the air without obtaining
full control flight speed and a motor quits, that plane IS going to rotate and your device is not going
to save it.. Period... Your use of a sailplane even at a slow speed and even if sailplane is underweight
the mass of that plane will inhibit a fast enough rotate<yaw> to loose control...
So, sorry to you, your examples aren't the best choice for testing your product.. The Twinstar is the
closest plane to be a decent choice of your product but the design of the plane itself is helping the
device to work..
I will again suggest.. Use any sport plane, not a trainer plane or sailplane, overpower it, then see
how your device works...
For me to make a purchase of your product I would want a FULL replacement guarantee and I know
you nor anyone else would be foolish enough to do such, so I would decline to make the purchase
because I know it will not work as described in most sport planes, or most smaller twin warbirds..
And there is currently already a product on the market that does do throttle management and
makes it known to the TX operator that a motor has quit and can operate faster than then equipment
we use in our model airplanes called the Twin Sync :
http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/acces.../twinsync.html
And as mentioned prior the Twin Sync offers additional usefull options to our models..
Given my example of a 70" sport plane with a couple .60 size motors doing about a
50 degree takeoff having a motor quit at about 25' altitude your device would fail to
be able to make required corrective measures to save plane... In this example the
closest viable thing is to greatly reduce other motor, point nose down, not trying to
make a turn, and manually correct as best as operator can.. I will however concede
that the probability of decent functionality of your product to a scale plane being flown
in a scale manner.. But still, if the running motor is not reduced then there is no, zero,
chance of corrective control..

(edit)
BTW, Gary, again, don't take this as me trying to burst your bubble on this project
as I do appluad you on trying to produce a product to enhance multi model flying..
As noted by another in this thread, "education is the best thing a pilot can do.
Learn the physics of twin operation " More explicitly, learn the physics of
your own twin as there are wayy toooo many varables in design within the
R/C model hobby..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79425.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	661360