RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rollin' my own 50CC Yak 54
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rollin' my own 50CC Yak 54

Well, got it done!!! What an ANIMAL!!! I did the maden flight in around +15mph winds. Taxing down wind the plane tried to take off. I just weighed the plane today and it came in at 16.5 lbs. That is all up with 2 2000mha nmhi packs for the receiver and 1 1100 nicad pack for the ignition. Wing loading is 26.7 oz/sqft. The plane flies incredibly light. I set it up with 45 degrees on the elevator, 40 on the ail and 50 on the rudder. 45% expo on high rates only, none on low. Take off was about a 10' roll out and a little elevator and she was up. 4 clicks of elevator trim and a couple of clicks of ail was all it needed. No rudder trim. KE flight took a breath of ail and almost no ele to control coupling. It was kind of hard to tell what was the wind and what was the plane. I made a couple of circuits and slowed it down and did a rolling harrier. Nose high, slow and sooooo easy. I pulled it vertical and did a half roll, pulled full up and the tail fliped over the top and the plane went into a perfect elevator. At an idle or a couple of click an idle the tail will stay down and keep the nose up. I did a couple of harrier passes very little wing rock even with all the wind. While in a harrier I bumped the throttle and pushed the tail down into a hover. I had it about 1/3 throttle and the plane was climbing out. Droped it back to 1/4 and it just hung there. Slam the throttle and the thing is a rocket. It has pull out like my brothers 102"QQ yak that weighs 25 lbs with a DA100. I let my brother fly it and he was amazed. It flies like his big Yak. The plane does every thing like a 35% plane. It is by far the best flying 50cc plane I have ever flown. The plane lands at a fast walk. It is more like landing a funtana or a u-can-do. I got lucky and got the balance spot on the first try. Inverted you only have to think about down elevator to keep it level. I tried to get it to snap on the second flight. I turned it down wind and pulled about 3/4 elevator on high rates. The plane made the turn in about 25' and the wings never wiggled once. I need lean the engine some more. I was getting a lot of oil from the exhaust and the plug is almost black and was a little wet. The thing pulls unreal rich, I cant wait to try it again with it tuned a little better.

Here are some pictures of the plane. If I ever get another free weekend and the wind cooperates I will try to get some vid up.

The cowl is just temporary, it did not come out quite as nice as I would like so I am making a new one.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36236.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	662940   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42583.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	662941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58180.jpg
Views:	103