RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servos For A 3D Gas Plane
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos For A 3D Gas Plane

Hi, I'm thinking of flying gas planes and was hoping for some advice on servo choice. I'm posting on this forum because I intend to fly 3D and from my limited nitro experience, I understand that 3D applications tend to be a little more demanding on the servos. The servos are proving to be the most costly part of "going gas" but I don't want to skimp and put a big gasser plane in the ground or worse, onto someone.

I've got a 25CC sized plane for various reasons including cost, ease of transport and local legislation.

First, do I need metal gear servos? Or will, for example, a Hitec HS-6975HB with Karbonite gears or a Futaba 9252 suffice?

How much torque I need off the servo? Will 6 kg/cm suffice? I'm guessing I need less for the ailerons and more for the rudder/elevator?

What should be the minimum transit speed I should consider? I just tried my first all digital setup on my glow plane and really dig the difference but I guess I can live with a little less performance for now. There are some pretty high torque analogue servos available at reasonable prices but the 60 degree times are around .24s or so. Too slow?

Thanks guys.