RCU Forums - View Single Post - Servo life expectancy
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 12:16 PM
onewasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo life expectancy

There are so many variables as to make the answer almost impossible.

Taking your lead as the pots or gear train first-----you aren't going to wear out nylon gear trains----IF---- they are capable of handling the forces in you particular A/C.
I switched to metal gears some time ago-----I have gone through a set of pots but not the gear train.

In general terms a two cycle is easier on the "vibes" than is a four cycle (prop acceleration). Now, when we get into soft mounts the equation changes--------BUT based upon the soft mount chosen as they are not all created equal.

Then we have the gassers----two cycle: my experience has been that they are easier on servos than a much smaller four cycle. Matter of fact I have a good friend who has run the same set of 4721's for about six years. No wear apparent in either pots or gear train and this after a slow cycle tester has been used.( this is the same cycler that picked out my worn pots). A 90" is the smallest A/C they have been used in------but each A/C has been powered by a twin.

The twin puts another variable in the equation as they are generally smoother running than a single of the same or similar displacement.

In short---- I don't think you can even come up with an acceptable answer as there are simply too many variables.

I've been through a set of pots in less than fifty flights and then a couple of years with the replacement pots on the same servos----the application? Virtually the same.

MY answer-------kill the "vibes" at the engine and you are as good as it is going to get.
Others will have a different 'take' on it.