RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thunder Cat 31
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Toycollector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

My TC seems to be real squirley in corners...
I have had similar experience too, and the only thing I did to calm it down some was to mess with raising and lowering the prop shaft angle a bit. It has not cured the problem, but did make a difference.

I found the hull to have a slight hook which forces the nose down added with having the feul tank in front of the CG it mskes the boat prone to oversteer.
I cant see the hook, but from what were seeing I guess it could be there. I was thinking that your idea of the nose being forced down for whatever reason is pretty much what appeared to happen with mine, but I was thinking it was from decelerating too quickly that was allowing the front area of the hull sponsons to "catch" and put the thing on its head.

I know my statement above only deals with making adjustments, but different settings have produced different results. When I had it way to low on the bow (prop and angle all down) it cornered like it was on rails, but dumped over real easy. The opposite setting (bow high) seemed to help at med speeds, but wasnt much better at higher speeds, and it also made it fall off plane sooner and be slower in the turns.

Basically I think hook or not a cat style hull reacts very different than a v bottom, and this one isnt going turn on a dime at speed like the SW36 I have used on occasion, and from what I can see its all about how much of the hull is "wet" and how much more grab the cats sponsons have in the turns. A v bottom will tend to slide out if pushed too far, but a cat seems to want to jump from the additional forces of the hull catching during a turn.

Does that make sense to everyone????