RCU Forums - View Single Post - Peak Models 84" edge
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peak Models 84" edge

freebird1,

You have good timing, I got a couple flights in last night, in 15 mph winds. I was not happy with the winds and they shook me (and the plane) up a little, but I made it out unharmed, so a successful maiden. I was very cautious on the first flight. My CG came out at 4.75 from the leading edge at the fuse and I think it is perfect there. The elevators are very, very responsive. I used low rates on every surface except rudder. I only had about an inch of deflection on the elevator and it was very responsive. I had a little too much expo and that made it difficult. I reduced the amount on the second flight and it was much more manageable. Don't worry about the ailerons and rudder that much. I had max throw on the rudder and at least 2" of throw on the ailerons. This plane is large and has lots of drag. With my 22x8, there wansn't much speed, but it had pretty good pull. I didn't do much other than fly circles, fighting the wind and trying to get a feel for it. The plane really does float well and although my engine ran flawlessly, I would not be afraid to deadstick it. It just floats and is difficult to stall, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I plan to get out again after work today to try a few more things, but the winds are supposed to be back so I'm not sure it will happen. If I get more flights in, I'll report here. Sorry I don't have much to offer as of yet.

Gary