RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Rockyaged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: thomasf

I checked my Incidence with the hangar 9 meter and my elevators are both showing 1 degree pos. I have not been able to maiden and see how it flys yet so don't know how it's going to affect the plane.
Question for Rockyaged, Once I do fly it and need alot of up trim, how did you correct the elevators?
ThomasSF...

First.... when the plane takes off, be ready for it to nose over when you go back to neutral
with the elevator stick... with one degree, you should be able to trim for level flight. I
suggest you climb it out to a safe level for trimming.
second the fix is to get a carbon fiber rod with a 1/4 " inner diameter. We get ours from Taps
Plastic in San Jose. Take a round file and elongate the pivot pin hole down. Do alittle at a time.
Less than 1/16th of an inch at a time.. Insert the pivot pin into a short piece of the carbon fiber
rod and insert into the bottom of the elongated hole. Check with your meter. Continue until
you get to zero degrees. Do both sides the same. Then cut a piece of carbon fiber rod to fit
from one side of the fuselage to the other, not protruding outside the fuselage. Apply Epoxy
to the fuselage and insert the c/f rod into place. With a stick, apply more Epoxy to the rod
inside the fuselage thru the small access holes. Prepare to fly it the next day.
Like you, I am waiting for good weather to fly. You might consider coming down and flying with
us at our club site.

Gerald