RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro models pusher Bobcat?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 AM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

ORIGINAL: GSK

Looks the part can I suggest that you reverse the rear undercariage legs

If you leave where they are now you will have a lot of trouble getting the model off the ground, in fact it could leap into the air and stall if you are not careful,
you really need to have those rear wheels closer to the C/G so that It can rock a little on the rear wheels

They do fly well with no vices as long as the C/G Is correct
cheers G.

To this day, the posts about the bobcat with the stock gear setup "leaping" into the air baffles me. Adrians, your gear is fine where it is.

If you Bobcat is "leaping" into the air, you are doing one or two things wrong.
1. you don't have a inclined AOA, basically, your nose wheel strut must be long or set high enough to produce a decent wing angle of attack. Remember this is not a trainer prop plane, it is a delta wing configuation.
2. you are not building enough speed up on takeoff. Again, it's not a normal prop plane. if you have an positive angle on the wings, the bobcat will gently lift off the ground with little elevator input depending on the angle. It will not "leap" into the air unless you jam on the elevator, a common pilot mistake.

Lastly, another reason you should not reverse the gear struts is that you need rearward clearance for the prop. They are wire struts and will bend upon a hard landing should you have one and then ruin your prop if it hits the pavement. Some props get fairly close to the ground clearance. This may happen over time anyway as well as the struts weaken.

Go fly, have fun.. let us know how it goes.

Leave the struts, they are fine where they are.