RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro models pusher Bobcat?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Adrians flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

We did have some ballooning issues but mostly it was because the rates were dialed in a little high (5 1/2 rotations per second on a roll) so when we dialed it down it was more docile. It does require me to put a little more effort into turns because I'm used to flying a 60 size Ultra Stick and a UCanDo and they are both tail draggers. This thing is also quite a lot faster than anything I currently fly so again, a little learning curve to conquer here.

Bruce

ORIGINAL: XJet

There are benefits to not setting up the plane with a positive AOA while it's sitting on the gear...

If your noseleg is too long then the plane is far more inclined to bounce on a *fast* landing -- because it *will* touch down before the mains and thus force the nose to pitch up -- with resulting ballooning back into the air.

A shorter noseleg will ensure that once you touch-down, even if your landing speed isn't *perfect*, it will stick - because once the nose drops there will be no lift (or maybe even a little negative force).

If you can do a perfect two-pointer every time then a longer noseleg and rearward mains will work just fine -- but if you're an average flier (and especially if operating from tarmac) then the shorter noseleg and repositioned mains is a far safer option.

And, as for the prop-strike risk -- if you're worried about this, just put some wire anti-rotation legs on the bottom of your tailbooms so they limit the maximum AOA while on the ground -- I've seen plenty of (baby) boomerangs with these fitted and they don't even have a prop to strike :-)