RCU Forums - View Single Post - RX tuning
Thread: RX tuning
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Piet Le Roux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RX tuning

I only have experience with JR 700 receivers. You have to pickup the signal just after the discriminator. The R7** receivers are easy in this regard because of the DSC data input. The DSC enable you to test your plane with a buddy lead without switching the TX on, maybe Futaba has something similar. You can use the DSC input as a discriminator output else you have to solder a test point to the discriminator. This means that you can test and align the analog part of your receiver. The receivers I worked on were 35MHZ, so it has a coil in series with the antenna that will result in some loss. A good 35MHz receiver normally needs about 5 micro volts modulated at 3 KHz for a 12 dB sinad result (With the coil in circuit). For AM equipment you would need about 8 micro volts at 80% modulation. On the TX you just need to check the TX frequency and modulation Levels (not more than 80%).
Note that on FM equipment the modulation is done by square waves and your normal modulation meter will show about 30% less than the actual modulation.

Be very careful that you do not break the small ferrite slugs when you do aliment. If they have beeswax on them first heat them and then turn them when they are still warm. Also try to use soft aliment tools, avoid ceramic tips, they break the slugs! I had a very hard time to get circuit diagrams for JR equipment and I suppose you will too with Futaba equipment.
Good luck
Piet Le Roux