RCU Forums - View Single Post - Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,
Old 04-26-2007, 04:44 PM
sigrun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remind me why do we fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,

ORIGINAL: alex7403
Remind me why do we build and fly glow planes, compare to electric planes,
Bang for the buck in anything other than a minuscule model. EP simply can't compete with IC on either of those. The rest is about personal preference.
As a concept the electric planes should be at lease cleaner and easier to maintain.
As you suggest, neat concept - which falls over in actual practice.
Is there an electric engine that gives the power of O.S. 91 Fx or 46 AX FS 120 III ?
Sure, but be prepared to sell your share portfolio to buy it and the batteries to power it.
I'm just bombarded with ads for EP, wondered if im missing something, seems not.
Seems so. EP is being heavily pushed because (profit) margins are huge in EP, and it's easily marketed to Gen stupid as tech bling, something new (subliminal suggestion ergo superior) and exciting to the target demographic easily parted with their $$$$. It's not for nothing Pootaba (ch)use acronyms like FASST or AVCS.

I fly both (EP & IC), and undeniably both have a place in RC. But when viewed dispassionately, EP still leaves much to be desired, especially in the cost vs benefit arena. Because of the requirement for exceptionally low weight, most of today's EP models are relatively fragile in comparison with their IC counterparts, but worst of all, have low mass and so fly quite differently (toylike).