RCU Forums - View Single Post - What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

The flaps and the ailerons are almost finished and I will begin on the wheel wells to clean them up a bit and make them more scale. Then I guess I'll have to tackle the gear doors. I've been looking at the other P-51 threads and have stolen quite a few ideas. Mods like these never seem like much work until you start making them, then the hours start disappearing.

As for the different items I've ordered, here is an update:

1. The "manual" came in from Nitroplanes. It turned out to be a copy of the exploded view drawing I already had. It wasn't a step by step picture instruction book the add mentioned. As I needed the control surface throws and CG I started looking around RCU for other owners of this plane. I couldn't find anyone who listed the info (if anyone reading this has the CG location or control throws please let me know) but I did find someone who ended up emailing me a scanned copy of the instructions for the CMP P-51 Mustang 50 (thanks, RCU....the Mustang 50 build thread is at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52..._1/key_/tm.htm ), which is almost identical to my plane but is smaller and doesn't have flaps. This will help out a lot, but I'd still like to get confirmation of the control surface and CG info (don't need the flap throw info; a real P-51's flaps can drop to 47 degrees and mine now drop to 45 degrees....close enough).

2. The tailwheel from CJM arrived in just a few days and I will start fiddling with it soon. Have to go to the LHS and buy a tire.

3. Ordered the Flitemetal and cockpit the same day (17 Apr) I ordered the tailwheel and still haven't heard anything yet nor have I received anything in the mail. I did get the Paypal confirmation for the billing though. I guess its going to take a little while. The wing should be done soon so I hope these parts get in so I can get started with those mods.

If the parts don't arrive soon I have a back-up plan to keep me busy....I think I'll add the two exhaust vents on the bottom and back of the air scoop. Whats a few more ounces, right?

Does anyone have any more engine recommentations?

Last thought for tonight; its been awhile since I've flown a warbird, so I'm thinking of getting the P-51 PTS to get back up to speed. I know some guys who have this plane and they say the PTS is great. It should make a good lead-in plane before I step back into my other warbirds and this P-51 I'm building now.