RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Surfer
Thread: RC Surfer
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM
metaldog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

No problem. I used a low-profile servo to save space. I connected the existing pushrod from the rudder to that and another push rod to the guy. I removed the gearbox that was acting as the servo. I cut that gearbox thing so that the hex shaped part that turns the surfer's body was still mounted inside and crafted a push rod to move the body via a small hole drilled into the gear of the hex part. I'm considering gluing a piece of plastic to that hex part instead so that the push rod is not in such a weird fashion ... but its working so until it breaks I'm not too concerned. I did have to use a different RX and TX and I have it stuck to the lid part and used clear silicon to seal the hole that the antenna wire runs through. For the esc I'm using an old novak rooster with a Traxxas water cooler that is feed water by tapping into the incoming and outgoing motor cooling lines. My nephew has the surfer right now and I think I'm gonna sell it to him and modify another one. I had a red one and wanted blue, now they have a blue one in stock. (My girlfriend works for WalMart so I get a 10% discount and that pretty much takes away sales tax and about 2.6% lower than the marked price.) When I modify the new one I'm gonna take pics. Also I'm using my existing NiMH 3300 6 cell batt packs and it works great. I wish I had pics of the mod in progress from start to finish, I only have pics of it out of the box. Like I said the next mod I'll take plenty of pics. I'll try to get it from him and get pics of the mod, but I'm not sure when I'll be out near his house.

heres the water cooler:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBH5&P=0

You will want to get some extra tubing as well. I think HPi or tower's brand is the cheapest. I got the Y connectors at Home Depot in the automatic sprinkler section under the drip irrigation systems.