RCU Forums - View Single Post - Parkzone Spit - any pre-maiden advice?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 04:19 PM
ozrcboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Spit - any pre-maiden advice?

Hi Beau,

I'm sorry to hear about your bird going in. Unfortunately none of the PZ warbirds seem to have been designed with repairability in mind (different culture I guess - just replace the airframe rather than repair it).

Listen a few thoughts based on your flight report - and please understand I am trying to be honest and direct - its not my intention to cause any offence. I also was a beginner once, and remember how someone would say "you need to do such and such" and thinking to myself "I couldn't do that because of *some other thing*".

In 100 yards with the spitfire you should have been able to establish 30 metres of altitude reasonably easily - certainly is within the plane's capabilities which suggests to me that it was probably all happening a bit too quickly for you (particularly with maiden nerves etc).

Also, something which is different about rudder only and aileron planes. Rudder only you tend to loop, or use up elevator, to escape from trouble. With Aileron planes you tend to roll out of trouble, then use elevator to escape. It's an important difference.

In the flight, did you get a chance to reduce the throttle at all, or where you still WOT when you did your turn and came back?

Also, do you have FMS? Have you tried flying some of the planes in there?

One more thing, before you attempt the spit again just be confident that you have addressed whatever it is that went wrong. If it's lack of flying space then so be it. If it that the model is a bit fast for your current experience then figure out how you are going to address that. Maybe another plane is needed between the Cub and the spitfire, or maybe you just need to reduce the rates on the spitfire so you don't have as much roll authority.

Cheers,
Oz.