RCU Forums - View Single Post - Peak Models 84" edge
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 AM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peak Models 84" edge

freebird1,

I would not be afraid of a 5" CG. Is that with or without your cowl? If it is without your cowl, you'll be fine. Your elevators will be a little more sensitive at 5". Even at 4.75", they are a little on the sensitive side but that's the way I like it, especially with some expo dialed in. The control surface you want to most careful with is the elevator. Keep your throws low at first. You only need about 2" defection for tremendous authority. Even with that little bit of deflection, there is plenty of authority to keep the nose up in a hover. It is much more responsive on higher rates, but that makes it more difficult on landings. When I hover, I use about 40 degrees of throw in my elevator. As far as your ailerons go, use whatever you feel comfortable with. I typically fly on low rates, which is only about 1.5 - 2.0 inches of deflection at the trailing edge. The rolls are a little on the slow side, but that's fine with me. If I want to keep from torque rolling in a hover, I use the high rates because it whips it back around nicely to keep the belly of the plane away from me, the way I feel most comfortable. I keep the rudder on high rates at all times, which is as far as it will go without hitting the elevators. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more info or if I need to make something more clear. I really like the way the plane flies, but it is a bit of a handful in the wind, surprisingly. I'm attributing that to the large wing surface area and the "fatness" of the wings in general. The plane has a lot of drag, which makes landings very easy because the plane will float like a U-Can-Do and is difficult to stall, which I really like.

Gary